Sunday 8 April 2012

Everything's a Drama!!!



Having finally caught up on the first two episodes of ITV1's Titanic, I feel now equipped to pass judgement, and as I have already said I HAD reservations....... Firstly we all know what happened, what different spins could be put on a real life event.....Secondly ITV's budget wouldn't compete with that of Hollywood, and thirdly would it not just be Downton Abbey but on a boat?


In this instance I don't mind being proved wrong..... With Downton Abbey such a huge success of course it was going to work, the only two similarities between Downton and Titanic are firstly the characters virtually fit into staff and 1st class passengers both having separate and intertwining stories.....And  secondly exceptional script writing.... So why stop a winning formula!?!!!


I am not loyal to a particular channel and even sometimes get caught on QVC for longer than advised..... But throughout this consent channel hopping I have begun to notice how very different they are no more so than BBC1 and ITV1. When comparing Eastenders to Coronation Street, there are of course the obvious differences London/ Manchester, The Square/ The Street and The Queen Vic/ The Rovers.  But there are so many more..........Eastenders uses more point of view camera shots, and creates tension with this technique, for example Phill walking through the market whilst everyone stared at him made me feel very uneasy (presumably how they hoped) if you were to compare the overall colour of both Corrie and Eastenders, Corrie has a much warmer orangey feel whilst Eastenders more cold and blue. 
But whilst watching The Syndicate (Tuesday's BBC1 9pm and on iplayer) which is great, I found myself thinking this is very " BBC" I'm not certain why exactly I came to this conclusion.....The great writer Kay Mellor who wrote both The Syndicate and the amazing series Fat Friends, I presumed that The Syndicate was going to be more like Fat Friends, more comedy perhaps and although I love it, I presumed that Fat Friends must have been an ITV drama, because it was more light hearted and perhaps more closer to reality! 


New Coronation Street coming along nicely.

I have to tell myself that drama on tv isn't real, on a practically weekly basis! Living in Manchester means that I often bump into cast members from Corrie, and have to refrain from calling them their character names after all they are in my front room several times a week! This was more than testing when I literally bumped into John Stape in Topshop at the same time he was on the run from the police (on the soap) I was taken a back........ Then realised the whole thing is fictitious!  The lives of people on Coronation Street are crazy, and although based of reality all of the extreme events don't all happen to people who live on the same street all at once!!!!! 


This weeks highlights!! 

  1.  The Matt Lucas Awards- Tuesday 10:35 BBC1 comedy awards with host Matt Lucas
  2. Peter Andre- My Life Wednesday 9pm ITV2- love it or hate it Peter's life makes great TV
  3. The Sinking of the Conordia: caught on camera- Wednesday 9pm channel 4- what actually happened, passenger stories!
  4. The Sarah Millican Television Programme- Thursday 10pm BBC2- comedy chat show last in the series. 
  5. Piers Morgans life stories- William Roache- Friday 9pm ITV1- set to be a very revelling interview start if the new series!

No comments:

Post a Comment